Friday, August 3, 2012

Service Before Self...a snowball in Mississippi


Continuing on from last week’s post today we take a look at the core value of “Service Before Self”.  With that in mind I want to focus on some of the people I have been blessed to meet during my short time with the Air Force who have put service before self.

Standing in line to pick up my dry cleaning last week I overhear an Airman in front of me.  I catch part of what he says and realize he is Haitian; what are the odds?  Over the past week I have had a chance to speak with Kender.  A man from Massachusetts proud of his family and more than happy to discuss the intricacies of communicating whether it be body language, English, or French.  Someone who has dreams; dreams that include serving those in his family, in his neighborhood back home and this country.

Switching gears slightly.  I am staring at my training plan and am distracted by the pain in my foot while I wonder how to keep up my training without causing a more serious injury.  Ask and you shall receive.  Along with a number of tips from friends from back home I also meet Airman Ehler from Ohio.  I realize he is a former Division I long distance runner.  What are the odds?  After further discussion with him I gain a friend willing to coach me on running and someone here to serve his country plain and simple.

The fact I am in the same squadron at Keesler with a Haitian and an experienced long distance runner while training for a marathon to support a Haitian orphanage may be chalked up as a cool coincidence.  The fact I run into Airmen daily who are here to serve others is not a coincidence.  I am very proud to be a part of the Air Force and have learned a lot about service from those around me.  Seeing others serve inspires oneself to serve others.  That creates a service snowball effect that has the potential to grow and grow.  Notice those serving around you and let it build you, but don’t let the snowball stop with you; keep rolling along and serve others.  Who knows, you might be the start of an avalanche.

No comments:

Post a Comment