Friday, August 17, 2012

Just Run



Have you ever heard the phrase paralysis by over analysis?  I suffer from this condition from time to time.  It describes the condition when one is so concerned with preparation, or analyzing a situation to an extreme where they actually do not do anything.  This morning was a perfect example.  I was having trouble with my phone app that measures how much I run which allows me to post maps for you all to track my progress.  I literally spent 15 minutes tapping my phone and talking to my phone and to myself trying to get it to work.  Phrases like “come on come on, hurry up, please just work!” and thoughts of when my next phone upgrade sprinted through my head.  Then it hit me of why I was out there.  I was out there to run.  Not to spend my morning fiddling with my phone and getting frustrated.  Do not misunderstand me.  I still feel preparation and measuring success is important for the long run, but in situations like this morning it shouldn’t take away from that core purpose of what you are doing. 

With this in mind I put my iTunes on shuffle and just ran.  Running without a pace in my head, or a focus on how much longer I had to run, I just ran; it was a liberating feeling.  A feeling that I invite you all to allow in your life from time to time during the course of your schedules, appointments and must dos.  Let your feet hit the ground and feel that freedom in each step and just run.  The longer you run you are reminded of the powerful thoughts within you.  The thoughts of ones far away that you care for, thoughts of past, present and future and thoughts of ones who inspire you to run. 

You have probably realized by now that running is just a vehicle or metaphor that represents different situations in our lives.  This post is no different.  When you find yourself this week overthinking something, or having anxiety over preparing for something remember what you read here.  Don’t let overthinking stop you in your tracks, just run.  

Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment