Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Here we are a week into this One Thought Away experience and I have been blown away by the amount and variety of support I have received.  It really means a lot.  First thing is first though for this blog.  If you have not talked to your mom today, sent her a note, or at least spent a moment reflecting on the importance of moms in general you need to pause reading this and go and do that ASAP!

If it weren't for moms we would not be here; literally (I'm no biology major, but I understand the basics :) ).   I know I am very blessed to have a mom that has supported me and has loved me throughout my life no matter where my path has taken me.  In fact, my path this coming Saturday the 19th will be at the annual Ncompass fundraiser dinner in Tigard (the organization I am raising money through) where I am fortunate to have my mom and dad drive the 4.5 hours to be in attendance.  We have a few more tickets available in case people were free FYI.

However, as I write these words I am reminded of the reality of this world.  Some of us do not have moms, or in some cases have been separated from them for whatever reason.  This is a common reality in the Maranatha House orphanage in Titanyen Haiti.  Some of their moms have left, some have died and some cannot support all their children.  Thankfully places like the Maranatha House exist to help mitigate this tragedy.

Perhaps you connect with the experience of always having a supportive mom, or maybe your experience is more aligned with the absence of a mom for whatever reason.  Whichever the case, take a moment and reflect on how this has shaped your life and how this experience connects you, however loosely, or closely with your brothers and sisters near you and across the globe.  

I write this to paint a brief picture in words of the reality that exists in Haiti.  I write this to emphasize how much it means to me and most of all to them that you have, are and continue to show support.

Thank you for giving it a thought,

Miles

Follow me on Twitter

Background on Cause and How to Donate
http://miles-dodge.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment