Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cleared for Takeoff

Hi all, thanks again for stopping by.

This past week was an eventful one in many ways.  We held our annual Ncompass fundraiser dinner last night in Tigard and it was a great success with familiar as well as new faces attending just as the miles Miles runs for training increase (yes I just used a pun in third person :).  I am excited to see the success of One Thought Away as it sparks future progress in Haiti as well as your personal lives.  Feel free to post your own progress on the blog or on Facebook to share!

On top of this I heard a piece of official news I have been waiting on since this past Fall.  On Wednesday May 23rd I will be flying to Lackland Air Force Base to attend basic training followed by specialized training at Keesler Air Force Base until the end of September.



Enlistment Ceremony
This is likely unexpected news to most and familiar news to some.  The idea of serving my country in a proactive way through military service has appealed to me since college as well as the special opportunity to develop as a leader in such a service centered organization as the U.S. military.  The tipping point to apply this past year was seeing how it would further benefit me in going back to school and where I am at in life since moving back to Portland just a year ago.

What a better way to train for a marathon right?  To reassure you, I am still committed to the October 7th race date and finishing this leg of my journey you have helped me start.  I will do my best to keep people posted during my time away, but there may be gaps in postings based on the nature of where I will be.

I feel nervous, anxious and also very excited, which is normal I suppose.  Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts and I will do likewise; deal? :)

How about you?  Are you entering a new chapter of your life?  A new beginning, or new transition?  Where are your thoughts at?

From August 2011 Trip
Thoughts can be powerfully negative, or they can be powerfully positive.  Treat your mind like a garden.  Nurture the positive thoughts that you planted as seeds of hope at one point and enjoy the produce.  At the same time be aware of the weeds of negativity so they do not overtake you; pull them up by the roots because they can grow back fast if you don't.

Have a great week and keep an eye out for new posts AND DON'T FORGET TO TELL MORE PEOPLE ABOUT ONE THOUGHT AWAY!...just read the original post of this blog for the background of this project.

Thank you all for your support, it is amazing to see all who are getting behind this.

Miles

P.S. Feel free to write me if you have specific questions, or if you would prefer dropping off a check compared to using the online donating method.

No comments:

Post a Comment