Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Parenting is a Powerful Platform


One of my childhood sports heroes was the gunslinger from Kiln Mississippi, Brett Favre. My admiration for his blue collar style and competitive spirit spanned for over a decade including numerous Pro Bowl and MVP selections and culminated to his induction into the NFL Hall of Fame this summer. During his induction ceremony a special game was recalled that many Packers fans will remember: the Monday Night Football game against the Oakland Raiders Dec. 22, 2003. Thinking of that game still gives me goose bumps as Favre passed for 4 touchdowns and 399 yards (311 yards and 4 touchdowns in the first half) in a 41-7 win after unexpectedly losing his dad and former football coach Irvin Favre the night before. Despite Favre's reputation of being an ‘ironman’ and epitomizing toughness, it is clear from his emotions that night back in 2003 as well as during his recent induction that his dad was a powerful influence not only in how he played football, but also in how he lived his entire life.


Ironically, my own dad’s most impactful influence on my life mirrored Favre’s days in Green Bay from my time in grade school all the way to the brink of my 21st birthday when my dad and I listened on the radio to Favre’s last game as a Packer. Similar to Favre and his dad, I put my dad on a platform and learned from his example. I recognized his work ethic when he went in on his days off simply because he said “there was still work to do”, or the early Saturday mornings he spent doing yard work which I drug myself out of bed to try and pitch in with. I noticed his vigilance as he drove my mom into work when the roads on her 30 mile commute were icy (which was often) and how he was a regular sideline figure at my sports games. He taught me attention to detail by how to properly stack a cord of wood and would make me go back and mow a missed patch of lawn, or re-wash the car if it looked sloppy. Bottom line: a parent’s child is constantly looking up to them because parenting is a powerful platform. I suppose it is nice knowing Brett and I have something in common :)



I recently encountered a perfect example of this with recording artist and fellow Packers fan Amanda Vernon (singing the National Anthem at Lambeau Field gives her major "cheesehead credibility"). I know she realizes the powerful platform of parenting since in the two live shows I have seen her perform she had her children with her on stage; in one show with her infant in a baby carrier literally looking up to her and in the second show her next bundle of joy still in her womb as Amanda belted out a beautiful melody. Enjoy this brief interview as Amanda shares how she keeps her standards high, celebrates the beauty around her and exemplifies how parenting is a powerful platform In Real Life.

  • What motivates you to do the work you do?
    "As a recording artist and song writer, my inspiration is beauty! When I experience something really beautiful, I want to share it with other people through my work."
  • Why?
    "I always learned that gifts are meant to be shared. Awareness of beauty, in both life-changing circumstances and in ordinary moments, is a gift that I desire to share!"
  • How would you say you have raised your standards in your life?
    "I can pin-point the moment when I raised my standards in my life. I was 15, and I realized I wasn't actually practicing a lot of what I believed on a spiritual level. Once I came to the understanding that my life would be more full by integrating my spirituality with my actions, I started chasing after that level of integrity. And I haven't looked back!"  
  • What keeps others from raising their standards?
    "At the heart of my lack of integrity in the past, was fear. I was afraid that if I admitted the truth about myself and my own beliefs, others wouldn't like me or accept me. And I was afraid that I wasn't actually worthy of being the best version of myself. I can only imagine that others shy away from raising their standards because they feel a similar fear." 
  • What upcoming events/initiatives/songs/projects would you like to share, or highlight?
    "My husband and I are about to welcome our fourth child into the world! It's been a new and humbling experience to continue with music production at a steady pace while I'm also making a person! The progression is notable on my YouTube show, In Real Life. In a couple of episodes, I'm going to release a new song called 'Pregnant Pause.' The lyrics are about the encouraging things a person could say to a visibly pregnant woman."
    Go Pack Go!
    Miles




Fun Questions

  • What do you want to be when you grow up?
    • "I'd like to be a mentor for up-and-coming musical talent. While I love my career as a recording artist, my long-term goal is to help other artists make a living from sharing their musical gifts."
  • What do you enjoy doing in the summer you cannot do other times in the year?
    • "I live near Oakland, California, where practically every day of the year is like summertime!" 
  • Who is your favorite music artist to listen to and why?
    • "When I go running, I listen to Stevie Wonder's Pandora Station. That type of music always lift my spirits with catchy melodies, thoughtful and funny lyrics, and upbeat rhythms."


     


1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring! Thank you for reminding me how powerful a platform parenting can be! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete